Suffering an Unfair Job Loss is Tough, our california employment attorneys can help.

E-3 Australian in a Specialty Occupation

What is the E3 Visa?

It is a category of visa reserved specifically for Australian nationals coming to work United States to work temporarily in what are known as "specialty occupations."

What are the qualifications?

Applicants must be nationals of the country of Australia and must possess an Australian passport. Applicants can bring over their children and spouses, but the United States does NOT recognize civil partnerships or other "de facto" relationships that are not marriage. For proof of your marriage, you must go to Australia's Department of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.

Other notes on eligibility

Applicants must have a job offer in the United States before they can apply for an E3 visa. They cannot apply inside the U.S.; they can only do so at a U.S. consulate (in Australia or elsewhere around the world).

"Specialty occupation" provision

This pertains to the standards of employment. For instance, your job must require a bachelor degree level qualification or higher. Trade jobs generally will not qualify as a specialty occupation under the E3 category.

Other important info

E3 visas are valid for 24 months (maximum), but this period can be shorter, depending on the Labor Condition Application (LCA) that your employer files with the Department of Labor. The U.S. approves 10,500 E3 visas each fiscal year. (The fiscal year goes from October 1 through September 30.)

Help with your E3 petition Are you struggling with E3 visa related issues? If so, turn to the experts here at Howard Law. Our Northridge, California firm can handle all immigration law matters. E-mail us via our website,, or call (800) 872-5925 for a consultation.