Suffering an Unfair Job Loss is Tough, our california employment attorneys can help.

E-2 Treaty Investor

What is the E2 non-immigrant visa?

It is a visa category that allows foreign nationals who've invested substantial money in a U.S. company to come to the U.S. to help manage the operations of the business and develop it further.

Do investors from all countries qualify?

No. USCIS keeps a complete and updated list of qualifying countries. In general, your country must have navigation, commerce, and bilateral investment treaties with the U.S. in order for you to qualify.

Path to a green card?

The E-2 is a non-immigrant visa, so it's generally not used as a stepping stone for permanent residency. But E-2 visa holders can go down the path towards a green card in certain situations.


To qualify, a foreign investor must make a "substantial investment" in a United States business. This usually means $25,000 or more in capital outlay. Citizens of the treaty country must own 50% or more of the business. The investor must have a direct hand in the U.S. business -- working as a supervisor, executive, operator, or implementer of special skills. The investor must have means other than the business to support himself or herself.

Other key points

If an E-2 visa applicant can show that his or her investment will lead to job creation in the U.S., this can help the application. The visa is issued for two years, but an applicant can renew indefinitely, as long as the business continues to engage in trade, and the applicant and the business meet requirements of the category.

A visa holder can obtain visas for a spouse and children (unmarried, under the age of 21), but the spouse and children will not automatically get the right to work in the U.S.

Assistance with E-2 visa questions or problems

The attorneys here at Howard Law can provide timely, expert help with your E-2 visa questions. Call us at 1 (800) 872-5925, or visit our website,, to schedule an appointment to discuss any questions or concerns.